As some of you might know, I try to make the props used in some of my images myself.
In early 2018 I had a Game of Thrones themed shooting on, and needed a sword resembling "Needle" for My version of Arya Stark (thogh mine was blonde).
The swords I had access to were rather Viking styled, and steel, so way too heavy for my model to shoot some extended time.
I used this sword also as a reference when I started working at Weta Workshop.
What I learned there, inspired me to re-do the whole thing, applying new skills and materials, and learning in the process.
What you see here is the original sword I made in 2018, ripped apart and the work in progress. The first image shows the status quo, the others show some snapshots during work. The last photos show the original back in 2018 and one of the shots I used it for.
In those images you can see the original cross-piece, which looked a bit clumsy to me (it was, after all, my very first try), and the new, re-worked cross-piece which looks much more real. I also started making a proper sheath for it.
The whole thing is just wood and plastic, the blade is carved from pine wood, so it's pretty light and was perfect for my purpose.
It's still far from finished, and I will post updates later on.